Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Match 2.20 The Setup: DCU v. RBNY 8-22-07 The Atlantic Cup Leg 3 (of 3)

This is the third and final fixture in the Atlantic Cup with DC and NY splitting the previous two meetings. Both teams won at home but DC leads the aggregate 4-3. With a tie or a win DCU takes the Cup again. I'm finally starting to develop the requisite DC Supporter hatred for NY. I think it has something to do with them being so close to us in the Eastern Conference table. It makes them an enemy. Usually I dislike individual players on a team, but this is something special. I think because of the table proximity, just the name New York Red Bulls has stuck in my head as something I don't like.

It's been more than a month since the Edgell Supporters last visited RFK to watch FC Dallas come back on our 3-nil lead. We will be in attendance tonight, albeit in smaller numbers (just El Goleador and I). A Wednesday night game will probably need as many loud voices as possible, so we're coming to help.

DC will be missing Gros who is out with another concussion and he may not be back. Cautions have not yet bitten us but we have a bunch of guys one or two cautions away from suspension. I expect over the next few weeks we will see some guys getting MLS mandated games off. Not that I care, but the entity known as RBNY is missing some injured guys. None of them are named JP or Jozy though so we'll be facing the full strength RBNY side.

I'm glad that Soehn has seen that Vanney and Boswell are the ones that should be fighting for starting spots and that the other three are earning their place each week. Does Boswell get the start so he and Jozy can go at it again? I hope so. I'm a fan of individual rivals like the Burch/Schelotto match last week. Assuming that Simms gets the start again (which is the wise decision), the only other lineup change will be Olsen instead of Gros, bone spurs for a concussion. Seems like an alright trade. I think we will miss Gros's work rate tonight but Benny's rancor towards RBNY should make up for it.

Come on ya Black and Red!

Hopes and Dreams for Match 2.20
1. Benny repeat performance. The hat trick might be a bit much, I'll take a brace.
2. Los Cuatro (Moreno, Fred, Gomez, and Emilio) build upon their teamwork from the Columbus match.
3. The Atlantic Cup
4. Burch from distance.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger